Health Savings Account (HSA)
The Health Savings Account (HSA) is a product that combines a high-deductible medical plan with a tax-advantaged savings account. The HSA will be administered by SelectAccount. OneBeacon® will provide incentive funding of $300 per employee and spouse who completes a preventative care exam and online health assessment. This money will be put into your HSA to help pay claims towards your higher deductible.
Once there is funding in your HSA, the money is yours. You decide how and when to use the money - use it to pay for eligible health care expenses, or save it for future needs. What you don't use earns interest, and you can take the account with you when you leave the plan, change jobs, or retire.
Because HSA plans have special tax advantages, the IRS defines specific rules for participation. To be eligible, you:
- Must be enrolled in an IRS-qualified high-deductible medical plan (OneBeacon's Health Savings Account Plan meets IRS requirements)
- Cannot have any other health coverage
- Not covered by spouse's medical or pharmacy plan
- Not covered through Medicare Part A or Part B
- Not covered through a general-purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA) plan (either OneBeacon's or spouse's)
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return
HSA Employer Funding
Employees who are enrolled in OneBeacon's HSA medical plan receive employer funding based on their tier of coverage that they are enrolled in.
- Employee Only - $20 per pay period
- All Other Tiers - $30 per pay period
In addition to the funding above, employees and their covered spouses also have the opportunity to earn incentive funding. For more information regarding how to earn the incentive funding, please refer to the Incentive Funding page.
HSA Contribution Limits
- Individual coverage - $3,450
- All Other Tiers of coverage - $6,850
*Age 55+ are allowed an additional $1,000 catch-up contribution.
Employees should be aware the amount of the company funding needs to be subtracted from the total limit if you wish to get the maximum contribution amount.